The Power of Spices: Turmeric
Turmeric – the powerhouse of healing! This little root has been used in ancient times to heal and cure several ailments and promote ideal health. Let me tell you about it’s magical powers!
I remember so clearly as though it was yesterday. My Nan was a firm believer in the healing powers of Turmeric – a herb that not only works from the inside of your body but also as a topical ointment. If ever I was to fall over and cut my knee and bleed, my Nan would dab Turmeric powder straight onto my wound. She would even do that for our pets – both animals and birds.
Turmeric paste is also used to adorn the new bride to prepare her for her wedding night.
These compounds are called curcuminoids, the most important of which is Curcumin.
Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
- Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory compound
- It increases the Antioxidant capacity of the cells
- Turmeric improves brain function
- Boosts immunity
- It lowers your risk of heart disease
- Turmeric helps prevent Cancer
- It helps with anti-aging
- Turmeric promotes a restful sleep
- It helps fight chronic arthritis
- Turmeric improves skin and fights acne
Add Turmeric to your diet! Mel’s Korma Masala contains a lot of Turmeric.