Handmade gifts: Limoncello
Homemade Limoncello is the perfect gift to gift during the holiday season.
My trees are bursting with gorgeous orbs of sunshine at the moment and this is a great way to put my plentiful harvest to great use. I absolutely love giving handmade gifts at every occasion.
6 large unwaxed Lemons
300g white Sugar
6 Cloves (optional)
700mls good quality Vodka
½ tsp Citric Acid
1 clean sterilised 2litre Jar
You will also need pretty bottles to gift your prepared Limoncello in.
– Wash and dry the Lemons
– Remove the zest in fine strips using a vegetable peeler
– Squeeze the juice from the lemons and set aside
– Place the zest, cloves, water and sugar in a saucepan
– Bring to a boil stirring occasionally until the sugar is melted
– Simmer gently for 10 minutes
– Add the lemon juice and further simmer gently for 5 minutes
– Add the Citric acid. Stir
– Remove from the heat and set aside to cool
– In a large preserving jar, pour in the Vodka and the lemon syrup
– Mix, secure the lid & set aside in a cool, dark place for 1 week
– Shake the jar daily
– After a week, strain off the Lemon zest & decant the Limoncello into a pretty bottle. Tag and gift.